Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meetings by duration and number of attendees card - how to reproduce

felipe_archila
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hello community,

I've been cracking on with a few meeting queries, and a question has come up around how the card below was generated within the "Improve agility" card (and others) about Meetings by duration and number of attendees.

felipe_archila_0-1648137546698.png

At first, I thought it was a Meeting Query, thinking this was the number of individual meetings scheduled that match these characteristics, but that does not seem to be the case, as our number of Decision Making meetings is an order of magnitude higher than the number on the card suggests.

A colleague of mine then suggested this might actually be talking about the share of meeting hours, with some context clues from the prompt to the left: 60%
of employees spend a majority of their meeting time in long or large meetings, so I then ran a Person Query for the last 6 months configured in the following way:

• Decision Making Meeting hours
    • Base Metric = Meeting hours
    • Rule: Total attendees <= 8 && Duration (hours) <= 1
  • Large Meeting hours
    • Rule: Total attendees > 8 && Duration (hours) <= 1
  • Long Meeting hours
    • Rule: Total attendees <= 8 && Duration (hours) > 1
  • Large and Long Meeting hours
    • Rule: Total attendees > 8 && Duration (hours) > 1 

Doing all this got me closer, but it's still not matching the visual, raising questions about how I can validate this data. Particularly, the biggest discrepancy is with Large and Long Meeting hours, which in my query resulted in closer to 20% versus 8% in the card below.

In my query, I did not exclude anyone or any meetings, trying to keep it as close to what I thought the card used to get its data as possible.

Anything I'm missing? Is this card supposed to be updated with real data, or is this placeholder data that's an average across all tenants?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Dazza
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @felipe_archila!

Have you tried running a Person Query, where the base metric is "Meetings" and applied the filters as per below? Also not sure if this was a typo but the greater than/less than signs in your post appear incorrect 🙂

Dazza_0-1648205074040.png

I do believe that the main callout is based on meeting time (ie. % of meeting hours), and the second visual is based on meeting counts (ie. % of meetings) - and both appear to be based on a Person Query. The other thing you could do is interrogate the data by clicking on the "See your insights" button on the card, and then clicking on "Explore in Power BI" as per screenshot below. This might assist with assessing the calculations. 

Dazza_1-1648205461422.png

View solution in original post

As you have referred to, the meeting query focuses on the metrics from a meeting perspective, and a person query focuses on the person's perspective. So it makes sense for the meeting counts to be vastly different when comparing the meeting query to the person query. The glossary probably explains it a little better - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/insights/use/metric-definitions#peer-comparison-metrics

With regards to internal vs. external on the Meeting Query, you could create a filter on your query as per below, and this will show external organizers. You could then set the value to True, to assess the difference between internal and external. 

Dazza_2-1648222891614.png

For the greater than and less than, I was referring to the direction of the < but this is not important in this context so please forget I mentioned it hahahaha!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dazza
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @felipe_archila!

Have you tried running a Person Query, where the base metric is "Meetings" and applied the filters as per below? Also not sure if this was a typo but the greater than/less than signs in your post appear incorrect 🙂

Dazza_0-1648205074040.png

I do believe that the main callout is based on meeting time (ie. % of meeting hours), and the second visual is based on meeting counts (ie. % of meetings) - and both appear to be based on a Person Query. The other thing you could do is interrogate the data by clicking on the "See your insights" button on the card, and then clicking on "Explore in Power BI" as per screenshot below. This might assist with assessing the calculations. 

Dazza_1-1648205461422.png

Hi @Dazza ! Thanks for the thorough explanation. I wrote out the metric filters using code syntax for speed, so <= represents  ≤ 🙂

To clarify, when I ran a Meeting Query grouped by Organization, I got a total count 455K meetings year to date. I downloaded the PBI template you shared and got ~3.3M meetings year to date, but from the Person perspective.

I'm assuming a lot of those meetings are the same meetings that have multiple attendees, but in addition, when we run Meeting queries, are those only meetings whose organizers are internal? Or does that include meetings organized externally?

Thanks so much for all your help.

As you have referred to, the meeting query focuses on the metrics from a meeting perspective, and a person query focuses on the person's perspective. So it makes sense for the meeting counts to be vastly different when comparing the meeting query to the person query. The glossary probably explains it a little better - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/insights/use/metric-definitions#peer-comparison-metrics

With regards to internal vs. external on the Meeting Query, you could create a filter on your query as per below, and this will show external organizers. You could then set the value to True, to assess the difference between internal and external. 

Dazza_2-1648222891614.png

For the greater than and less than, I was referring to the direction of the < but this is not important in this context so please forget I mentioned it hahahaha!

Perfect, that all makes sense, and I did confirm the numbers matched when I ran a person query with Meeting base metric 🙂

Really appreciate it @Dazza !

Dazza
Contributor II
Contributor II

Brilliant, my pleasure!