The Manager effectiveness dashboard for Power BI uses Workplace Analytics data to analyze people manager behaviors in your organization. HR analysts can use this analysis to measure behaviors and trends of people managers across four key themes within your organization, including coach, empower, connect, and model.
Each theme includes insights about manager effectiveness and ways to help maintain or increase preferred leadership behaviors. Key metrics are used to deep dive into each theme, along with a Why it matters interpretation and best practices recommended by industry experts.
The following describes the analysis within each theme and the actions you can take, such as tracking changes.
- Do managers have enough time for their employees? Shows the weekly average number of hours that managers spent collaborating with people in the company, divided into groups and types of communication (meetings, emails, chats, and calls). It also shows the average percentage of collaboration time that managers spent with direct reports as compared to others in the organization.
- Are employees receiving sufficient coaching time with their manager? Analyzes managers’ behavior in scheduling 1:1 time with their direct reports by groups. Metrics include monthly average number of minutes in 1:1 meetings with direct reports, percentage of employees who receive a different number of 1:1 hours with their manager, and the average frequency of 1:1 time (weekly, monthly, or quarterly).
- Are managers balancing oversight with employee autonomy? Shows the percentage of employees whose managers co-attend their meetings and might be micromanaging them as direct reports. It also shows the weekly average number of hours that managers co-attended meetings and spent in 1:1 meetings with their direct reports.
- How are manager habits impacting employee empowerment, workflows, and trust? Compares average percentages of collaboration load that's generated by managers as compared to individual contributors grouped by organization. It also compares scheduled and unscheduled collaboration time that managers generate, including meetings, email, Teams calls and chats.
- Do managers have large, diverse, and influential networks to enable and support their teams? Shows average connectivity metrics for managers, including distinct internal connections across different organizations and what percentage of managers are in the top 20 percent of influencers. It also shows details about the size and breadth of contacts and influencing potential for managers, which are grouped by organization.
- Do well-connected and influential managers have well-connected teams? Shows the average internal network size of managers as compared to individual contributors grouped by organization. It also shows the internal network size distribution of managers as compared to the full organizational population grouped by organization.
- Are managers modeling good work-life balance? Shows the weekly average of after-hours work for managers as compared to individual contributors in the organization. It also shows the difference in average workweek span collaboration hours for managers and for individual contributors, which is grouped by organization.
- Track changes - How are manager behaviors evolving? Shows metrics for the key indicator trends for managers, including metrics about coaching and empowerment, network connections, and after-hours work habits.
- Areas of improvement - How can manager effectiveness be improved? Lists some opportunity areas with related best practices and recommendations and links to related articles about ways to help your managers improve in each area.
The dashboard also includes:
- Customize report enables you to select what time period and organizational attribute to view the reports by and which employees to include in the reports.
- Glossary that describes the metrics used in the different reports.
To populate the dashboard in Power BI, you must set up and successfully run the predefined Manager effectiveness query and the Influence insights by month query in Workplace Analytics. After you successfully run it, you'll see the template as an available download option for the query. This template is required to create the dashboard in Power BI. After you download the template, you can then connect the query data from Workplace Analytics to the dashboard in Power BI.
When the dashboard is populated with your data, you can use it to visualize, explore, and report about your manager's workplace patterns and trends.
Go to documentation