cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Investors different than collaborators

Catherine_Hoepner
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi there! We are running a person to group query and our Time Investors different than collaborators. We have this filtered for the same group, so we thought it would be roughly the same. But, there is a difference of 58 people. This group doesn't include anyone without license. Any idea why this number is different?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jake_Caddes

Hi @Catherine_Hoepner, here are the two definitions of collaborators and time investors from this glossary: Advanced insights glossary | Microsoft Docs

Collaborators Anyone that measured employees or time investors interact with by email or instant message, in meetings, in unscheduled calls, or with instant messages. Collaborators are identified as internal (within the company) or external (outside of the company) and discovered through the data extracted for measured employees. Internal collaborators have domains internal to your organization, while external collaborators have domains external to your organization.
Time investor A measured employee who interacts with other collaborators in meetings and with email or instant messages. Time investors allocate their time with the other participants or collaborators in the interaction in proportion to how many people are in the collaborator group for that interaction. People who do not have a license for Viva Insights can appear as collaborators, but never as time investors.

This difference of 58 may come from other people that your licensed employees are collaborating with. These people could be internal to your team or external but are getting collaborated with enough that they are counted in Viva as a "collaborator"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jake_Caddes

Hi @Catherine_Hoepner, here are the two definitions of collaborators and time investors from this glossary: Advanced insights glossary | Microsoft Docs

Collaborators Anyone that measured employees or time investors interact with by email or instant message, in meetings, in unscheduled calls, or with instant messages. Collaborators are identified as internal (within the company) or external (outside of the company) and discovered through the data extracted for measured employees. Internal collaborators have domains internal to your organization, while external collaborators have domains external to your organization.
Time investor A measured employee who interacts with other collaborators in meetings and with email or instant messages. Time investors allocate their time with the other participants or collaborators in the interaction in proportion to how many people are in the collaborator group for that interaction. People who do not have a license for Viva Insights can appear as collaborators, but never as time investors.

This difference of 58 may come from other people that your licensed employees are collaborating with. These people could be internal to your team or external but are getting collaborated with enough that they are counted in Viva as a "collaborator"

Hi Jake! Thanks for responding! 

We are still facing the same issue & have done more validation on our end. The 58 employees have licenses & should be included as both time investors & collaborators but are not.

Do you have any ideas on what may be happening? We want to make sure that the data we are using is accurate.

Thanks again!

Cat

Kunaal_Bhagani
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

This is just my 2 cents so I am not 100% sure as i only recently started using the Group queries. In my case i actually put a filter on both time investors and collaborators to be part of one division. However, I still noticed a discrepancy in the population of the two. 

The way i read it was that there are some collaborators in the same division that aren't also time investors. This could be due to the org file not being correct e.g. they have moved teams a while ago or were never in the team to begin with.  They might also still be in the distribution lists which could be why we see time investors still sending them emails but they don't respond/collaborate back.

However, the level of collaboration should technically be immaterial. Ill post more once i play with this data more.