Discrepancy in data on PowerBI Dashboard from licensed population to measured employee count fix

Jake_Caddes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone, recently we helped a client work through an issue with a PowerBI Dashboard.

Scenario: Client set up a Ways of Working Assessment dashboard and the number of measured employees was much less than what they expected to see (couple hundred less than expected). They were confused as to why that would be the case. We ran some troubleshooting tests to figure it out and determined there were two factors that caused the difference in numbers from expected to actual. 

1. Definition of Measured Employees from the dashboard: Number of employees who sent at least 1 IM or 1 email in a work week during the current period.
    measured employees.PNG
  2. IsLikelyKnowledgeWorker Filter applied: this filter is turned on by default when you open the Dashboard and it excludes employees who spent a weekly average of less than five hours in meetings, email, instant messages, and calls because they are likely non-knowledge workers or they do not use Outlook or Teams.
    IsLikelyKnowledgeWorker.png

When you first open a Ways of Working Assessment dashboard filters are automatically applied. The goal of these filters is to remove employees who have low collaboration from the dataset, they can easily be turned off. 

If you run into this scenario in the future and don't understand why the numbers are off, please check the filters in the PowerBI dashboard for the IsLikelyKnowledgeWorker filter and also consider that the definition of Measured Employees may also be removing employees from your chosen dataset.

If you would like to remove the filter please click the eraser icon to clear the filter. Your data will update and you may see a new value populate for measured employees.

knowledgeworker.PNG

Link to documentation on how to set up a Ways of Working Assessment dashboard using Advanced Insights: Ways of working assessment dashboard | Microsoft Docs

Let me know if anyone has any questions about how to set up one of the PowerBI Dashboards that come from the Query Designer in Workplace Analytics. 
Query designer templates | Microsoft Docs

Here is a link to some other helpful FAQs and troubleshooting guides as well: Power BI tips, troubleshooting, and FAQ | Microsoft Docs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jake_Caddes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please read the post above for the solution to this if it comes up for you. Reach out to me if you have any questions about setting up a PowerBI dashboard from WpA or how to understand the data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jake_Caddes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please read the post above for the solution to this if it comes up for you. Reach out to me if you have any questions about setting up a PowerBI dashboard from WpA or how to understand the data.

Pawel_Gorski
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

I also had this issue which was caused by the IsLikelyKnowledgeWorker filter. Fortunately it was quickly resolved but the surprise of the customers' representatives was huge when they realized their "supposed-to-be-knowledge-workers" have so little time spent in collaboration activities. Initially this was caused because of some very specific research duties some of their employees have. They work in labs and are 'definition' of knowledge workers, however they do not display it using M365 🙂 I think this was one of the first moments when that customer appreciated hiring us as partners to help them understand Insights data.

AdrianCruz35
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Thank you Jake, I was having this problem and find the exact solution. 

Recommendations for you