Collaboration tool - how is it measured?

Alexandra_Monf
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

While time spent in meetings is quite clear in terms how it is calculated, how is the amount of time spent in email and IMs calculated? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dazza
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Alexandra_Monf!

It's calculated in pretty much the same way. 

• Email hours = number of hours spent sending and receiving email
  • Instant message hours = number of hours spent in IMs in Teams with at least one other person

Refer to this link for a more detailed look at metrics and their descriptions: Metric definitions for Advanced insights | Microsoft Docs

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dazza
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Alexandra_Monf!

It's calculated in pretty much the same way. 

• Email hours = number of hours spent sending and receiving email
  • Instant message hours = number of hours spent in IMs in Teams with at least one other person

Refer to this link for a more detailed look at metrics and their descriptions: Metric definitions for Advanced insights | Microsoft Docs

sophiebok
Microsoft Employee
Microsoft Employee

Hi, @Dazza. Can you also share how is that 'instant message hours' metric actually calculated? For 'email hours', for example, it's measured by 5min for sending and 2.5min for reading. Just want to ask if there's any defined logic for message hours as well. 

Alexandra_Monf
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

This is what I meant - the actual calculation of  "x min for sending, x min for reading". For both email and IMs

Dazza
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @sophiebok and @Alexandra_Monf , 

I stand corrected - but believe that the logic is identical. The value is a sum of the time the person spent reading and responding to an IM with at least one other person in Teams. 

Recently, the introduction of the "channel hours" metrics allows an analyst to break down this time into private chats and channel chats. 

But regardless, I understand the way in which this time is calculated to be the same...